Domain registrar are many. There are two kind of domain registrar. One professional. Two, touts. Here by nature of previous phrase you get what I mean. Second set is really a worry. I don't have any intentions to demean anybody on earth. But when you get a domain name, you mean business.
There are many review websites you can count on to know about a domain registrar. But problem is still same. Whether reviews are paid or real customer review you never know. And for many reasons you cannot always go with the best of best. So here is in simple steps, how to check your domain registrar credibility.
1. Before you chose look for negative reviews. From this you will know the type of problems you may face with x,y,z registrar.
2. Look who are customers of the domain registrar. This information is not very easily available but with some research you can find. Look what those customers are doing, since how how long one customer is with same registrar. And the type of business they are doing.
3. Get to chat support. Ask questions. See if you get proper answer.
4. Get to email support and repeat the step three.
5. Get registrar info as much as you can. Know about the people behind it.
6. Check their social media and social media responses. Look how often they update.
7. Find how they advertise business. If they publish a blog go through it and see the kind of post they share.
8. If a registrar is claiming to have offices across multiple cities, do some random test.
9. Call in the odd night hours. And if you can ask a technical question.
10. Online businesses are great, you can do everything on your Mac or PC but hold a minute. Look for your registrar office. Go there if its feasible. Meet them and gather some feedback from in and around, you know what I mean.
11. Know the TLD registry. Check if registrar in question is listed with registry.
Domain registrar are many but awareness is the key. Even with a best domain registrar a person/business may face issues. But early checks are mandatory and if you stuck with a domain registrar for long keep doing random checks.
There are some very popular registrar, and often you don't face problem with popular or less popular one. But globally there are many domain sellers and counting, so before you start doing business with some x,y,z you need to know its abcs.
I faced problems with one of the registrar and hence this article here. I am not going to name in this place.
This article is here because over last few years I felt they are turning inefficient but I still stayed with them with good intentions. So you do not get trapped or troubled this article is here.
I am not promoting any registrar with help of this article but I rate support I am quite satisfied with the hostgator. I will rate their support above average of course in my personal experience.