For beginners it's pretty tough to spend on advertising. Especially if you are on small budget putting an advertising budget seems near impossible. But you have to begin somewhere. To help you is advertising without spending here are couple of ways you may find interesting.
1. List your business in local city directory. If you want to sell or offer a service in an Indian city listing in a local city directory might be helpful. The www.indiaonline.in is one such directory. It has dedicated state and city portals around all Indian cities. You can chose your city and get listed for free. You can upgrade to premium anytime.
2. Join social media groups. Chose any social media with which your business gel well. For example if you are selling fashion products go to Instagram. Groups are one good way to promote your product. Normally group members are active people with large number of fan followings. You can request group members to give a shout out to your business.
3. Join review forums. Places like digital point forum, Quora and reddit etc are good to engage your audience. More fan following means more visibity.
4. Tag your business with newsfeed and share on social media. Find news related to your business, share it on social media like Twitter. Add your hashtag.
5. Start blog. You can do free blogging on places like medium.com, blogger.com and WordPress.Com etc. Writing is not easy job but you don't need to be a JK Rowling either. Write it simple and short.
Over to you. There are many ways to advertise your business free and these are some chosen few. Hope you will found helpful.