Social Media is great; being social media master is greater. Social Media rank defines your level of expertise in Internet world. I browse more than 500 sites daily, an average at least 50 new. What I found most distracting is, even before a web page loads completely, Social Media buttons pops out. Personally, I don't have anything against Social Media. Those are great places to talk to known, unknown and even never known.
Personally, I prefer Social Media integration as last thing on my Website and Blog. Here is why?
1. Social Media Widgets on Top of a website and blog may divert readers attention. This is same like when you are in a algebra class and students in other class room thumping desk, banging doors, playing techno. Isn't it distracting. Who likes honking car drivers?
2. Social Media employ call to action. First Thing First. Why to share your content even without I read it completely. Yes, a social button on Top says that. Do you put your signature even before writing an Email?
3. Social Media buttons at end of every post are more powerful. If you content is worth reading, people like to bookmark it. Keeping a blog post in social media is easiest and fun too. Be useful; readers will let others know what they are reading.
4. In case your website is loading little slow on a particular computer, content first means, by time user scan through page, social media buttons will pop up to share. Opposite to this when Social Widget on top, it will load first and content later, often resulting in an all white page for a slow internet connection. Later situation may invite distraction and customer may switch over to other site.
There is no guarantee, your website is equally fast loading at ever place. Optimize it for maximum performance.
5. Social Media on top of the content looks like you want to send visitor to another site and this page is less important. Keep them hooked on your website. Show them useful content, make your visitor eager to browse through your website, instead of hurriedly open smaller gates.
6. Search Engine love excellent content. Be it Yahoo, Google, Bing, Ask or any.Content is the first thing. Create useful content so people ask for more. Build your website reputation. If your audience find it useful search engine will rank it high.
Requirements and Personal Preferences may differ. Keeping Social Media as the last thing on your website and blog employ to Strong Call To Action. People will share unforgettable content and that's the Good SEO Practice.